We finalized Katie's adoption last Friday, August 12! We drove down to Fort Bend County for our hearing that morning. Since we got there with plenty of time to spare we were able to feed Katie and watch for our attornery since we hadn't met her yet. There were about a dozen or so other families also finalizing adoptions which was great to see. Most of the families were adopting babies but a few had older children. Once the hearings started, we waited out in the hall until it was our turn because Katie was tired and acting a little bit fussy. Finally, our attorney came out and told us to come in cause we were next! Hurray! Here are a few pictures we took while we were waiting.
These next couple pics are a bit blurry but we were thankful to our attorney's assistant for taking them. We stood in front of the judge and were sworn in. Then our attorney, Ellen, asked Jacob and me a few questions. Basically it was simple questions to make sure we understand that we will now have full legal responsibility for Katie. They had Jacob state her full name that we gave her. She asked me if Katie fits into our family. (Of course!) The judge declared her name to be Katherine Jane Burch, then said that she is legally our child, and told us congratulations. (I almost cried at that part, but I amazed myself and held it in.) And that was it!
We look so solemn. :)
The judge gave all the adoptees a teddy bear. It was so sweet! (Notice the longhorns behind the judge- only in Texas.)
Our official family...and the judge :)
A few more pics with mom and dad...
Katie's beautiful dress is from our friends Heidi and Trever. She was the prettiest one there (and the best-dressed)!
We are so happy to have Katie's adoption finalized! It is a great feeling to know she is officially and legally a part of our family, although we already knew she was ours a long time ago. We are looking forward even more to her temple sealing day in September. Our hearts are overflowing with joy for this sweet little girl who has come to our home. Our days are brighter and sweeter with her in them. We love our Katie Jane so much!!


8 comments:
Okay, so maybe you didn't cry, but I cried reading this, lol!! So happy for you guys, and SO excited for September when you will be sealed! :)
Congratulations!! Such a happy and peaceful experience!!
Congrats Kimmy! Can't wait to hear about the sealing. And I really do think she fits into your family. *sigh* This was a good post. Thanks.
I'm bawling like a baby over here! That was a wonderful post, Kim, thank you for sharing it with us. I am so happy for you and for Katie! And I am so grateful for the gospel that allows us to be together forever. Congratulations!!
Congrats! Although there is no question that Katie is yours, the finalization is a fun celebration. I loved the happy atmosphere in the courtroom with Dallin. Dallin still has his teddy bear! Now on to the very best part, the sealing!!!
Yay! Katie looks adorable, as always!
She couldn't have to come to more deserving parents. I am so happy that it has all worked out. It's been so fun to see you both (through pictures) with a little one. We wish you the best with her. She is indeed beautiful and very well dressed. Congratulations! I bet it feels so good to have it all finalized.
I cried! I am so happy for you guys. Katie is so blessed and so are you two! I love her expression looking at her teddy bear. Jacob looks so skinny.
Post a Comment