I finally got a sewing machine! Jacob broke down and gave it to me for my birthday this month. I am so excited to finally have one! It is a fairly basic machine, but since I am a beginner, I figured that's all I need for now. My mom taught me while growing up, and I am hoping some of it stuck with me. I'm sure she will be so proud of me for doing it on my own.
I have been inspired by several of my friends who sew and from seeing their creations on their blogs. Also, September is National Sewing Month, and although this month is almost over, I still have a couple days left to get sewing! 
I want to ask you more experienced seamstresses- what is a simple project I can start with? And what are some basic supplies I need to get started?


9 comments:
Well, I can't give any advice but I can give my opinion! I think you'll do great sewing. You sewed dresses and stuff growing up. I was always so jealous. Believe it or not...I actually want a machine too. I'm hoping Chad picks up on my obvious hints that I want a machine.
the basics you will NEED: good pair of fabric scissors, a seam ripper, and a measuring tape. Then, depending on the project, you may also need a rotary cutter and cutting mat. Buy the other things as you need them, or it will get real expensive real fast! The other thing you will want to do is mark 1/4" seam allowance on your machine. Put the needle down and take a measuring tape and mark EXACTLY 1/4" from the needle to a point on the needle plate. Then take a long piece of masking tape and tape it to the plate along the mark, so you have a long mark for your seam allowance. (this is because most patterns will require a 1/4" seam allowanace, and unless you have a special presser foot it's not marked on most machines) Hope that helps!
oh, and some easy projects would be throw pillows, an apron, pillowcases, pajama pants (with elastic), or one of those real simple patterns at the store (just don't try anything with zippers for awhile). ;) good luck - call me if you have any questions!!
I ain't never claimed to know nothin' about no sewing business, but I'd wager dollars to donuts that the plural of seamstress is seamstressi.
oh, and along with the rotary cutter and cutting mat you'll need a quilter's ruler. sorry, I'm filling up your comments!
I'm jealous you got a machine. I've thought about asking for one and then I think, "Will I actually use it?" I think I would though. You should do table runners like mom has that are 2 sided. You can make one for each month. How fun! I want to see your projects on the blog.
exciting!! What all do you plan on sewing? My next project is dish towels--I'm going to try and copy Anthropologie and make them fun and colorful--I'll blog about it once I do it. I'm excited to see what you make!
Hey Kim, you have the same machine I got for christmas last year. I really needed a new one. I would start with a project that has a lot of straight lines, that would get you used to your machine. If you get stuck just send me a message and I will be glad to help, Crystal
Hey, I have the same exact sewing maching...you'll love it and I'm sure you are quite talented in the area of sewing because you seem to be talented all around. Good luck with your projects.
Post a Comment