Thursday, May 21, 2009

Texas, part two

We went to San Marcos one day for an interview then drove around town and stopped to eat at the Saltgrass Steakhouse. We sat outside overlooking the San Marcos River. My food was good, especially the chicken tortilla soup, but Jacob's steak was overcooked. That kind of surprised us for a Texas steakhouse, but Jacob was nice and just ate it without complaining. San Marcos River
(If we ever go back to San Marcos I want to go to the huge outlet malls there. It is actually one of the biggest tourist attractions for the state of Texas. Anyone wanna go with me?)

The next day we drove over to Houston for more interviews. That was an adventure because it had just rained about 13" in Houston and there was a lot of flooding. So we had to find alternate roads to drive on (while it was still raining). We went through some high water a couple of times. Jacob was a little late for his interview but he had called them ahead of time and they were really nice about it. It had also rained non-stop the previous day in San Antonio and San Marcos. What a great welcome for us to the lovely state of Texas, huh? The rain finally cleared up by the time we drove south to Pearland, a suburb of Houston, for Jacob's next interview. Afterwards, we ate at this restaurant recommended by the dr.

We ordered 2 pounds of crawfish, a first for us.
We had to ask the waitress how to get the meat out. "Seriously?" was her response as she looked at us like we were crazy, until we informed her that we were from Idaho. Don't they look delicious?. . . barf

I did it once and then I was too grossed out to do it anymore. (All I could think of was cockroaches...sick, I know.) So I would just tear the tails off and hand them to Jacob to clean and get the meat out. We really liked the way it tastes (like shrimp), just hated all the work it took for one little piece of meat. Jacob said his fingers were worn out by the end. mmmm
We also ate jambalaya with chicken and sausage which we had never eaten before either. It was spicy, but good. I just had to push the crawfish out of the way so I didn't have to stare at it while I ate the jambalaya.
Sorry this post is all about food. I guess we just love to eat!

3 comments:

Chad and Carole said...

I'm with ya on the crawfish thing...ewwww. How did the interviews go?

Shaela said...

oh, that sucks about the rain! ah well, glad you made it out of there dry. :) My friend and I caught a couple crawfish at Girl's Camp one year and cooked and ate the for dinner. But they didn't look near as gross as yours! :)

Jana and Rob said...

I can't believe you even ate 1 crawdad. Yuck!