Wednesday, January 27, 2010

On the Hunt...

for a house!

We are excited and nervous because this will be our first home. We have rented for so long that
it just feels comfortable, but we are ready to be homeowners. I need all the advice I can get. Should we use a realtor? Or do it alone?

We are probably going to end up building a house. Has anyone else done that? What would you do differently the next time? Did you pay for upgrades or do them yourself?

Help me out!!

8 comments:

Holly said...

ooH! SO excited for you!! We loved building. We were on a time limit so we hired almost everything out except the rock and stucco on the outside. I also sealed the tile, but that's it. The only thing I would do differently is MORE outlets! I wish I had done one by the stair railing (so I could plug in my christmas lights) also one near the fire place same reason. I think my favorite upgrades were we did the Santa Fe texture instead of the orange peel, and I would def. do that again. I also LOVE my can lights and under the cubboard lighting. I don't know... I could go on and on. If you have ?s let me know! I'm SO excited for you Kim!!

Chad and Carole said...

Yea! Congrats! That's so much more fun than renting. Chad and I have built (and sold) 3 homes. And we can't wait to build again. I love the smell of the wood when they're framing it. Building definitely gives you more equity in your house versus buying. But now is a good time to buy. Do you have time to wait? 4-6 months? Upgrade the important things...like appliances or lights. I too LOVE my can lights. Tile is slippery just to let you know. If looking at a house, open all the drawers. I've lived in 2 houses now where the cabinets weren't thought out and they hit the stove weird. I would use a realtor if you're not familiar with the area. Like I told my brother, Ryan, who is also building a house right now, it's your first one. You don't need the hardwoods, tile, granite and stainless steel the first time. Just be tasteful and it will sell well when the time comes. I have seen some pretty ugly houses and wonder what people were thinking. By the way, if you build, I hear if your marriage can make it through building a home, it can make it through anything! Good luck!

Logan and Traci Wood said...

Holy moly...guess it is that time...huh?! I can't wait to talk to you all about it this weekend. You'll have to drive us around to a few areas that you are looking into. As far as buying...I loved using a realtor...you can get so much more done in such a short amount of time...you just tell them your expectations and they set it all up and lead the way. When you are on your own...it is a lot of driving around and researching and making appointments...avoid that and just get a realtor! As far as building...have no clue in that area!
I do have to admit right now you can probably get a smokin deal on a home that is a few years old rather than just buying a new home. However, if you find that the homes that are a few years old are the same cost as a brand new home...go with the new home because most likely you'll have a warranty for a year on everything...which comes in handy when you notice little or big things that bother you! Good luck...talk to you more later!

J n Bee said...

How exciting.

If buying, definitely use a Buyers Agent/Realtor. It will save you time and give you access to the MLS listings. I think the seller pays their fee.

Zero experience with building, but if your using a Gen. Contractor and he is going to use subcontractors, I've heard you should pay the the subcontractors directly. Otherwise, the GC may not pay them and the subcontractors can put a lien on your house until they get their money. You may also consider having them sign a legal waiver that they will not put a lien on your house.

Also, never pay a contractor until you are absolutely satisfied with their work. Once you pay them, you will have no leverage to get them to fix anything they messed up.

The Cushing Family said...

Wish I could help you. But Bryce and I are going to be in the Renters World for years to come. Good Luck with the hunt. Wish I were joining you in the Home Owners Club. :)

Shaela said...

So exciting! I can't offer much advice; I've heard a lot of good and bad about first time buyers. But look into the gov't program - it's good until May I think, and the tax credit would be great. :) Good luck!

My first impressions of you were that you were quiet and a little shy but really nice. You were always smiling and seemed very happy. I distinctly remember thinking, Man, do all people from down south talk as slow as she does? Lol! I had never met someone from the South before and that's what I thought. :) I also remember being very impressed that you always said "yes ma'am/no sir". I thought that was totally awesome that you were raised with such good manners. And of course, as I got to know you better I grew to love you more and more until we were best friends! And the rest is history. :) Love you tons and miss you - can't wait till I can see you again!

Brooke said...

Hey Jake and Kim!

Congrats on house hunting! I'm way excited for you. You know, there's a house for sale right next door to the one we'll be living in! If it weren't for the commute! We're excited to see you guys! We'll be moving in on the 10th of March!

Oh, and I am totally going to make that soup. I even have cilantro in my fridge needing to be used.

Lauryn Moon Donat said...

This is right up my ally. I've never built a home, but that's what I do for a living! My only suggestion is to figure out what you want/can afford up front. Set limitations for yourself. It's REALLY easy to get carried away with upgrades and and such which drive the price up like CRAZY! Building a home can be quite the process and is time consuming. Make sure you and Jacob sit down and talk about your likes/dislikes and your expectations before you begin. That will save a lot of arguments/discussions throughout the process! Let me know if I can help at all... I'd love to come up to Houston and help you pick out finishes, samples, etc!