We went to Craters of the Moon out near Arco, Idaho last Saturday. It is out in the middle of nowhere. Two of the other residents, Jess and Katie, came with us. It was so hot walking by all the lava rock, but really cool to see. We walked a short trail to see the Big Craters and a couple of smaller ones, then explored several caves. Down in the caves it was nice and cool and a relief from the heat.
This is one of the Spatter Cones

the Snow Cone with snow still in it

Us in Boy Scout Cave- the floor was really icy and hard to walk on. I kept thinking I was going to trip and fall b/c I had to hold my big flashlight in one hand to see where to walk. It is pretty amazing that I never fell or hit my head, especially with how clumsy I am. (Jess, on the other hand, hit her head at least 3 times. Ouch!)

We all teased Jacob about how fast he could climb up the rocks. Katie called him a mountain goat. He
loved being in the caves. The last time he'd been here was when he was about 12. He was in heaven exploring and climbing all over and leaving the rest of us in the dust.

me, Jess, and, Katie in Indian Tunnel cave

We had a good time at Craters and I recommend going and seeing it at least once. Some advice: bring water and a head lamp! It is a pain to hold on to a flashlight while climbing over rocks. And we got really thirsty. Make a stop after at the visitor's center for some cold water.
3 comments:
We love Craters of the Moon, even though we haven't been in a few years. And I'm totally jealous: every time we've gone (at least 5 times) the caves were always CLOSED!! :0) glad you had fun
I sure do miss going on adventures with you guys and seeing how excited Jacob gets with things. That is one of the reasons we loved hanging out with you guys because you always find a way to make everything that much more fun! Keep us posted on your future adventures!
I remember mom saying they went here with Mamaw and Papaw once and I've always been interested to go see it. I'm glad you got to.
Post a Comment