Monday, August 3, 2009

Things I Am Loving This Summer...

I thought I'd share a few things that have been making me happy so far this summer. First off, have you tried the new Sonic Chillers? What genius thought this up? Cherry Limeade + soft serve vanilla ice cream= a happy dance for my taste buds. Seriously, if you haven't tried one yet, you are missing out. They also have limeade and strawberry limeade flavors.

Also, as if I didn't get enough ice cream at Sonic, I have been making my own at home with my new ice cream machine. This was a dangerous purchase for me since ice cream has always been my weakness.
My great-grandma's orange ice cream recipe was a big hit. I've also tried cookies and cream and strawberry. What should I make next?
Since we don't have a yard at our apartment, I have been growing a few plants in containers on our front porch. I love to cook with fresh herbs and it's nice to have them right outside my door! I have basil, parsley, thyme, mint, and rosemary. I've been eating the best tomato and basil sandwiches. You just mix about 2 oz. cream cheese, 1 Tb. mayo, 1-2 Tb. fresh basil, chopped (or you can leave the leaves whole and layer with the tomatoes), then spread that on slices of toasted French bread (about 4 or 5 slices). Slice roma tomatoes and place on the bread and sprinkle with black pepper. (You can also melt mozzarella cheese on top.) Yum! We have been talking to my family on skype lately. Anyone else done this? It's fun to actually see the person you're talking to and we've been able to show our new apartment to the family. And the best part is that it's free! The only thing we can't do is video conference calls with 3 people. We can hear everyone but not see them anymore. Has anyone else been able to figure this out?We have been watching this show...
and so far our favorite dancer, Evan, is still in it!! I also liked Melissa and Ade, but they got voted off last week. Are there other fans of this show out there? Who do you want to win? As long as Brandon doesn't win I will be happy.
I am also looking forward to this movie that is coming out this week. I've heard good things about it. I wanna read the book now too. Maybe it will inspire me to try new recipes. Sometimes I feel like we eat the same few dishes over and over again.

Hope you all are having a great summer!

4 comments:

Holly said...

YUM! The fresh herbs and sonic... you are killing me. I'm starving all of the sudden! :D

Shaela said...

I love having fresh basil! You need to try some Margerita Pita Pizzas - they are DELISH!! I will send you the recipe :)

Jana and Rob said...

What a cute post! I want to grow my own herbs one day (hopefully soon). Fresh herbs are so good. I want to see that movie too! Those sandwiches sound yummy.

David and Michelle Christianson said...

I'm so glad you've found happy things this summer! I have to say I'm am very impressed with your ice cream. Mine never turns out as nicely. Good luck in TX and hope to talk to you soon.