I want to finish up this week of infertility awareness by sharing a few things I have learned from my experiences so far (and am still learning).
1. Patience - This has been a struggle of mine my entire life, and I guess Heavenly Father just wanted to make sure I kept working on it! When you have been waiting a very long time for something you desperately want, you learn to have more patience. There is a great quote that Mrs. R from the r house blog often shares, and I love it. "Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we want them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." (Joseph F. Smith) But it's still really difficult some days!
2. Not to compare my life to others - Wow, has this been hard! Especially when all my friends were starting to have babies and I wasn't. I thought, "I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, and this is a righteous desire, so why am I being denied this great blessing of having children?" The thing that helped was when I finally stopped comparing my life to everyone else's. I have to trust that Heavenly Father knows what he's doing and has a plan for me and my family. For some reason, that means I have to wait a little longer to become a mother. Everyone has their own problems and trials, and this is mine right now.
3. A greater sense of humor! - Laughter can help lighten the mood of a stressful or awkward moment, and we have had plenty of those. I hear all the time from other people also dealing with infertility about the offensive comments they sometimes get. I really can't think of anytime that's ever happened to me. I just remind myself that we all have said things without thinking, and usually people are not trying to be insensitive or unkind. I choose not to take offense, but instead try to laugh it off. I can't even count how many people have told me that I'll get pregnant once we adopt! Sometimes I'll explain that it can't happen to me (w/o medical intervention, at least), but usually I just smile and laugh about it later.
4. How to draw closer to my Savior - I think this is the greatest lesson anyone can learn from whatever trials they experience, and it's definitely true for me. At times when I feel like no one else understands what I am going through, Jesus Christ understands perfectly. I have felt him take away my pain and sorrow and replace it with comfort and hope. I am truly thankful for the things I have gone through so far because it has brought me closer to my Father in Heaven and my Savior, Jesus Christ. I always thought it was strange when I heard other people say they were thankful for their trials, but now I know why they felt that way.
Believe me when I say these are things I am still improving on every day. I am thankful to my friends and family who have ever listened to me talk and/or complain about my infertility. It is helpful to talk through things that weigh on my mind. I don't want anyone thinking I'm depressed though, because I'm not! Sure, I have my down days once in a while, but I am usually hopeful and happy. I hope my friends who become pregnant will not ever be afraid to tell me, because I honestly am so happy when that happens, and I want to share in celebrating your good news! I am extremely excited for the journey of adoption that awaits for Jacob and me. I have already made so many new friends because of it. I can't wait to see how our story unfolds!


5 comments:
you are one of the most faithful, charitable, loving, strong, amazing women I know. I feel blessed to call you my friend and hope that someday "I'll grow up to be just like you." :) love you SO MUCH!!!
Kim-I'm so happy you have been approved for adoption and I'm so excited for you to be holding your own precious child one day hopefully soon!!! Will you send me your email to cortneyheintz@hotmail.com.
Love,
Cort
I've really enjoyed reading your posts! You really are such a kind hearted person and I'm excited for you and Jacob. You are an amazing example!!
Kim...you don't ever suprise me with how wonderful you are. I truly look up to you and love the many chats we have shared at your home and elsewhere talking about our struggles and things that we both go through. I hope you know how much I love and appreciate you. I am so excited for the many changes you and Jacob are soon to be going through and I know it's going to unfold beautifully for the both of you. Also, can't wait to see your house soon! I hear Jacob has already installed the fans...you are fast!
What powerful lessons that we all learn at one point or another. Not comparing my life to others has always been a challenge. You guys are amazing...I hope we still continue to hang out after you move.
Post a Comment