Monday, August 26, 2013

Visit to Sea World

Over Memorial Day weekend, we decided to go to Sea World.  To help break up the drive to San Antonio, we stopped to eat at Nathan's BBQ, a popular restaurant kinda in the middle of nowhere.  The food was so good!  I was craving meat (rare for me) and the ribs really hit the spot.  Katie devoured the mac and cheese.  The atmosphere was fun too, with live music and cheerful employees.  
getting cleaned up
Our night in the hotel was quite the adventure with Katie refusing to sleep in her pack and play, so she ended up sleeping in our bed.  She woke up around 4 am and thought it was time to play.  After crying and moving around for almost an hour, she finally crashed and we got a few more hours of sleep.  Also, during her crying episode, someone knocked on our door (around 5 am)!  I don't know if they were worried or mad, but we didn't answer it. :)  

We awoke to a huge thunderstorm and downpour of rain, only to check the news and find out there was flash flooding all over the city of San Antonio.  The Kosters were on their way to meet us at Sea World and had heard the rain was supposed to clear up in a few hours.  So we took our time getting ready and ate a yummy breakfast in the crowded hotel lobby with all the other patrons who were also waiting for the rain to clear.  Eventually we made our way to the park, carefully navigating around some rain-filled streets.  Here we are excited to go play!
Katie loved the rides in the children's area and laughed during most of them.  We rode the little Ferris Wheel first.  I didn't get pictures of the other ones.
Katie watching the whale show.  We sat with the Kosters, Donats (Jacob's cousin), and the Huffs, but I didn't get pictures of everyone.
We met the Huffs, our good friends and neighbors from dental school, at the park.  Rebecah and their youngest son, Samuel, couldn't come, which I was sad about, but it was still good to see everyone else.  We hadn't seen the boys in five years and they have grown so much!  It was so fun to hang out with them again and it brought back a lot of good memories.
best friends reunited
We ended up leaving a little earlier than usual, because Katie had a huge meltdown while she was waiting in line with me for one of the kiddie rides.  Jacob was with the Huffs riding roller coasters and I had to call him and tell him we better leave.  I wanted Jacob and Katie to ride a few more rides, but she was exhausted and really needed to sleep.  She had missed her nap by several hours at this point.  She fell asleep in her stroller on the way out to the car and then proceeded to sleep the entire 3&1/2 hours home.
guess we really wore her out :)
Other than Katie's crankiness, we had a great time with family and friends and hope to go back when the weather cools off again.

2 comments:

Devin said...

I've been using bloglovin.com to manage the blogs that I read and for some reason, it wouldn't let me leave you comments. I really enjoyed your recap of your France trip! What an adventure!
Not sure how often you travel with Katie, but Harper has never slept well in a pack and play so we purchased the same little cot that we sleeps on at school for when we travel
http://www.amazon.com/ECR4Kids-Stackable-Assembled-Kiddie-Toddler/dp/B0042SYZCK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1377546173&sr=8-7&keywords=toddler+cot
It works like a charm, is easy to pack in the car, and fits crib sheets.

Kim said...

Thanks Devin! That little cot looks great; we'll have to get one for Katie! It sure would make traveling easier if she'll sleep on it.