Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Potty Training!

In mid-July, I started potty training Katie.  She had been showing signs of readiness for a while.  I read the book Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day by Teri Crane and used most of her ideas.  Basically, your child gets a new doll and teaches the doll to use the potty throughout the morning.  They get to pick out treats for their doll.  After lunch and nap, it's the child's turn to use the potty.  Katie had a lot of accidents the first day, three the next, and only one each day the rest of the week.  Now it's been almost two months and she's doing really well at home.  Most days there are no accidents.  If she does have one, it's usually becuase she's distracted with playing or watching TV and forgets to go.  I still remind her frequently.  She wears a pull-up for naptime and bedtime and when we go out to run errands.  We've started letting her wear underwear when we visit friends and have had mixed results.  Sometimes I get frustrated and feel like she should be doing better by now, but I know she's still young and eventually she'll get it completely.  I just have to be patient. :)

We had a princess themed potty party.  Katie loved it!  We gave her a new doll and several books about using the potty.  She named her new doll Wiggle (it's one of her favorite primary songs).
admiring her princess tiara
treats for using the potty
Katie received stickers and a treat each time she used the potty.  We stopped treats after three days and stickers after about a week.
showing off her big-girl underwear
We spent the day reading, playing, and watching a few potty-themed videos.  Her little bum in underwear is so cute!
Such a big girl!
It was weird at first to not be changing diapers anymore.  Of course, she still wears pull-ups and I hope to be done with those for going out soon.  She'll still need them for sleeping for a while.  Any tips for getting rid of the pull-ups?

No comments: