Thursday, March 12, 2009

Do-It-Yourself Food Storage

We have a goal this year to finally get our one-year supply of food storage so we have started going to the dry-pack cannery to get the stuff that lasts 30+ years. Last time we went my brother Will was visiting us, so we made him come and help. (Just what a young college-age guy wants to do on the weekend, I know :)

We canned rice first . . . don't you love the hair nets?
It is actually a pretty fun assembly line . . .

. . .until you get to spaghetti- you have to break every piece to get it to fit in the cans. Everything else you can just scoop right in.

yeah, I think they were tired of me taking pictures by this point, ha ha
I am glad we live so close to a cannery and can get this done. It really doesn't take that long, most of the food is already canned; they just like you to do a little extra when you come. We have also stocked up on food that we eat regularly. One day a couple months ago when Jacob was at the store he bought about 50+ cans of food (beans, soup, peanut butter, etc.). (Usually we do this more gradually, but it is easier for him to carry all the cans in!) He said he got everything loaded up onto the conveyor belt and he overheard the people behind him say something like, "that's enough food for 2 months!"
Yeah, that's the point, people.

5 comments:

Shaela said...

lol - you're right, that IS the point! :) Our ward has "food storage by the week": in the bulletin each Sunday is the listed item(s) to buy that week. By the end of the year, you will have a year's supply of food storage for 2 people. It makes it very manageable. :)

Rich and Tyra said...

Kim,
I was looking at my cousins facebook and noticed that you are friends with her. Jennifer Workman. I asked her how she knew you, obviously figuring it was from dental school. Small world. I told her you are Rich's cousin. Anyway. Just thought that was interesting!
Tyra

Holly said...

Good for you guys! That's a great goal. I feel awful... we live so close to a cannery too, and I've never been!

Emily said...

First off...those hair nets ARE sweet! I think you wear it best by far! :) Way to go on the food storage--it's hard to get that much food to fit in Meadowbrook apartments...luckily you guys have a little bit more room now. We miss you guys!

Jana and Rob said...

Ha ha ha!! Your hair nets are awesome. You look like a lunch lady. Good job on getting your food storage. It feels good to know you could eat if there was ever a disaster.