Thursday, April 19, 2012

How does your garden grow?

We planted a garden almost one month ago.  We learned that raised-bed gardens or containers are the way to go here because the soil in Texas is mostly made up of clay or sand.  So we bought these cedar-plank kits at Home Depot and Jacob put them together.  We filled them with a mixture of top soil, peat moss, and manure.  Mmm...smelled awesome.  just kidding.  Finally, we put the seeds and plants in the soil.  This may seem early to be planting to those of you out west, but we actually could've planted in February. 

This was right after we planted everything. 
This first box is all tomatoes and a few marigolds (to help keep bugs away).  We have two cherry tomatoes, one yellow pear, one roma, one early girl, one parker's whopper, and one celebrity.  We love tomatoes, can you tell?!
The middle box is green beans (started from seed); peppers: sweet banana, jalapenos, and green bell; and herbs: basil, cilantro, and rosemary.
The third box is zucchini and yellow squash (two of each).  Two were started inside and two in the garden.
This is two weeks after we planted.
I've already used the basil in some of our meals, and there are a few cherry tomatoes growing.
I'll take more pictures soon because the beans and tomatoes have already grown a lot more.  I have been watering every morning, usually during Katie's nap.  It's so fun to go out and see how the plants are doing.  I can't wait till we can harvest some yummy vegetables!  Do any of you have a garden and what are you growing?

2 comments:

Matt and Haley said...

This is my first time trying herbs. I don't know when I can start using them or how much I should let them grow. Sounds like I can start using my basil leaves now!

jaustin620 said...

Good for you two! It looks like you have a wonderful start. It is so fun to see the progress and especially get to pick and eat what grows. We have barely started on the flower bed and nothing on the vegetables. You have inspired me to get going!