Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Getaway, day one

We decided that since Jacob had work off we'd take a little trip for just the two of us.  We dropped Katie off at her Aunt Rachel's and headed up to Huntsville.  It was my first time being away from Katie overnight.  I trusted the Kosters but I was still a nervous mama!  We checked in at The Whistler Bed and Breakfast that afternoon.  This was my first time to stay in a B & B.  (Jacob has stayed in one a couple times on a rotation during dental school in a tiny town in Virginia.  I guess the town didn't have any hotels so they had the students stay at the bed and breakfast.)  We met Mary, the owner, who was so sweet and friendly, then put our bags in our room and set out to explore.
 
Isn't it beautiful?  The house was built in 1859.

 It was so peaceful there...

The top left windows at the back of the house are the room where we stayed.
The porch of my dreams!
That beautiful wrap-around porch was my favorite thing about the whole house.
 my handsome hubby
Our room was so quaint and cozy.  (Does anybody say the word quaint anymore?)
I wanted to try on those hats but Jacob wouldn't let me. :)
 
Fortunately, the renovated house boasts a private bath with indoor plumbing.
Can you tell Jacob is thrilled with all these pictures?
The only thing that creeped me out in this house was that antique doll carriage in the hall.  I'm just glad there were no old dolls in our room...
  Mary had facts written in all the rooms so we could read about the furniture and decor.  It was interesting to learn the history of the house and rooms.
We ate dinner out that night at a local restaurant, then saw the movie Brave (cute but a little weird).  The movie tickets were the cheapest we've bought in years at a regular theater at only $5 each (not a matinee)!  After the movie we enjoyed some yummy chocolate milkshakes from Sonic (half price after 8 pm).  Yeah, we really know how to splurge on a date.  Don't worry, we spent plenty of money the second day. :)
 

1 comment:

Jana and Rob said...

I love that porch! That looks like a cute little B&B. I want to go to one someday. Glad you had fun!