Saturday, September 8, 2012

Getaway, day two

 The second day of our stay we woke up very grateful for our king-size bed at home.  The bed was pretty uncomfortable.  We both tossed and turned all night.  Jacob said the mattress must be as old as the house. :)  We were tempted to sneak into one of the empty bedrooms and see if a different bed was more comfortable.  So that was disappointing since the bed is half of the "bed and breakfast".  But we looked forward to all that we had planned for the day.  At least breakfast did not let us down...
 
pretty place settings
delicious German pancakes filled with fruit and a side of bacon 
Bacon could brighten anyone's day, right?
me with Mary, the sweet owner of the house
 
After breakfast we headed out to Huntsville State Park to go horseback riding.  It had been quite a long time since either one of us had been on a horse.  Jacob was very nervous because he was bucked off several times as a kid (two of the horses were said to be very tame).  I told him everything would be fine, but as we were waiting he started to make me nervous too with his worrying!
hmm...not too excited yet
getting ready to ride my horse, Pinky
Jacob rode Molly, the only female horse in the group.  We went on an hour-long trail ride through the forest.  We were grateful for the shade to keep us somewhat cool.  It was very beautiful and peaceful being surrounded by nature.  We both loved it.  Jacob rode in the back in front of one of the trail guides and they talked most of the ride.  (I took these pics of Jacob when the ride was over.)

When we were leaving Jacob thanked me for arranging it and said he had a really good time.  So that made me happy!  Yay for not getting bucked off of horses!
After lunch we enjoyed a couples massage.  We needed some knots worked out from sleeping on that lumpy bed.  I know Jacob was very relaxed because he fell asleep at the end!  We felt very pampered.
We didn't get a picture, but we also went to the Houston LDS temple that afternoon.  Since it was my sister Anna's birthday that day, I had been thinking about her even more than usual and wondering what she was doing.  Inside the temple, I felt very close to her and was grateful for the experience I had.  I felt great love and peace. 
 
We had a wonderful mini vacation and came back refreshed and renewed in our love for each other.  I was so happy to see Katie again though.  She did great at the Kosters, but I was glad to take her home with us.  Hopefully we can make this a yearly tradition!
 

1 comment:

Jana and Rob said...

That looks like a my kind of getaway. Except for the uncomfortable bed part.