I normally love Independence Day, but this year felt different, being in a cloud of grief. I was just not motivated to do much at all. We still had a good holiday though. The best part was having Jacob home the whole week since it was his vacation. We started off our celebration with attending a free patriotic concert by the Houston Symphony Orchestra which they do every year. This was our third year going and we love it!
I promise we did not spend the whole time doing this:
Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with smart phones?
Rachel, Todd, and their kids joined us
Jacob with cute little Tylee
Jacob cannot pass up cotton candy. Now you can say you know a dentist who loves sugar. :)
We had the Kosters and Noordas over to eat with us on the 4th. Everything was delicious!
Rachel made this beautiful and yummy cookie flag.
Katie wouldn't stop eating watermelon; she loved it!
cute kids enjoying the food
That night we met up with friends at a local park to watch the fireworks. We had a good view and it wasn't too crowded. We even saw the end of the neighborhood parade that came through the park.
This is the best family pic we got. :)
love Tylee's eyes
Tylee and Rachel
The patriotic camp chairs we received as a wedding gift always look their best on Independence Day. Someone always comments on them. :)
Katie kept pointing and saying "ooh" when we watched the fireworks. She seemed to enjoy them.
She was pretty tired but never fell asleep. There was too much going on!
The only bad part of the night was when Katie and I were attacked by fire ants. Okay, maybe not attacked, but it sure felt like it! We were both bitten on our feet, but Katie was fine. Her bites went away in a couple days and never seemed to bother her except right when she got them. Mine got worse each day and kept swelling until I could barely bend my toes. This picture doesn't do it justice. It was terrible! So itchy, swollen and sore. The swelling finally went down after several days, but I still have scars from the bites. I have been bitten a couple times before by fire ants and have had the same reaction. I hate fire ants!! I'm so glad Katie was okay.
Next up, our trip to Huntsville...


4 comments:
I have a scar on my foot from a very recent ant bite too! Can't stand them! We've ingrained in Caleb to be so careful about wearing sandals or no shoes in grass. He is allergic to them and swells up really bad. A few times in the past a bite has turned into staph...so he's learned to steer clear!!
Boo! I hate ant bites. I think it's interesting you swell so much. Do mosquitoes do the same thing?
Yes, Carole, I do swell up a lot with mosquito bites too. I hate it...
Your foot is huge!! Katie looks so cute in her dress. I'm glad you had a fun Fourth.
Post a Comment